Central Contra Costa Solid Waste Authority

green waste garbage waste recycling home

Residential Recycling Programs

RecycleSmart offers many programs recycling programs to help the community dispose of recyclable materials properly and conveniently.

Battery Recycling          

  • Place batteries in a clear zip lock bag and put them out curbside (on top of blue recycling cart) with the weekly garbage collection, or 
  • Place batteries in a clear zip lock bag curbside during the bi-annual Reuse Day, or
  • Drop off batteries at one of our local partner retail locations below.


Pharmaceutical Disposal

If you’re like most people, you have accumulated quite a collection of medications—many of which are no longer needed or have expired. Disposing of unwanted medications properly will help to protect your family, community and environment. 

Dispose of medications in a pharmaceutical collection bin at one of these locations:

  • City of Walnut Creek, City Hall Lobby, 1666 North Main Street, Walnut Creek
  • Town of Moraga, Police Department, 329 Rheem Boulevard, Moraga
  • City of Orinda, Police Department, 22 Orinda Way, Orinda
  • Town of Danville, Police Department, 510 La Gonda Drive, Danville
  • City of Lafayette, Police Department, 3675 Mt. Diablo Blvd., #130, Lafayette
  • Alamo, Sheriff’s Substation,150 Alamo Plaza, Suite C, Alamo


  1. To ensure privacy, take medications out of their original containers and put them in a sealable plastic bag. Remove your personal information and recycle the plastic container(s) in your blue Recycling cart.
  2. Please leave liquids in their original container and mark out personal information and place bottle into a sealable plastic bag
  3. Asthma inhalers are accepted.
  4. Pet medications are accepted.

No medical sharps, batteries, household hazardous waste or controlled substances in collection bins.


Medical Sharps Disposal  

Improper management of discarded needles can pose a health risk to the public and waste workers. Dispose of used medical sharps in an hard-plastic red sharps container at one of these locations:

  • Alamo Sheriff’s Substation – 150 Alamo Plaza, Suite C.
  • Lafayette Fire Station – 3338 Mt. Diablo Blvd.
  • Moraga Fire Station – 1280 Moraga Way
  • Orinda Police Department – 22 Orinda Way
  • San Ramon Fire District – 1500 Bollinger Canyon Road
  • Walnut Creek Fire Station 1050 Walnut Avenue
  • Walnut Creek City Hall 1666 North Main Street
  • Rossmoor Gateway Building  1001 Golden Rain Road (For Rossmoor residents only)
  • Danville Police Department  510 La Gonda Way

The hosting organizations listed above are going out of their way to help their communities. Therefore, do not, under any circumstances, leave sharps, medications, or any other products on their property. Doing so could jeopardize the viability of these collection programs. 

Sharps collection programs are for individuals only. Use by residential care facilities, doctors’ offices, veterinarians, and other commercial generators is not permitted.


Electronic Waste Disposal

Your unwanted and obsolete electronic equipment and appliances are one of the fastest growing waste streams. When discarded in landfills, these items not only lock up components that contain valuable and reusable natural resources, they also contain toxic chemicals that can contaminate soil and groundwater. It is illegal to dispose of TELEVISIONS, COMPUTER MONITORS and MOST ELECTRONICS in the garbage. The cathode ray tubes (CRTs) contain lead and could contaminate water supplies.


What does this mean for RecycleSmart service area residents? RecycleSmart residents can dispose of unwanted electronics (including monitors and table top-size televisions) curbside at no additional cost on their “Reuse” Day (see Residential Cleanup Options).  


Residents can also dispose of electronic items for a fee by using on-call, curbside collection service provided by Republic Services.  Call (925) 685-4711 to obtain additional collection and fee information. 


Another option is donating your equipment to a non-profit or school; you can claim it as a tax deduction.


Household Hazardous Waste

Household hazardous wastes (HHW) should never be thrown into the trash or washed down the household or storm drains. Hazardous chemicals can "pass through" treatment processes or storm drains and get discharged into the environment. This occurs because wastewater treatment plants are not designed to remove hazardous chemicals from wastewater, and storm drains flow directly to the Bay without any treatment at all. Groundwater used for drinking or irrigation can be contaminated when waste products are poured onto or seep into the ground. 


Hazardous Waste Disposal Facility for Central Contra Costa County

All hazardous wastes including paint products, solvents, cleaners and pesticides, should be taken to the Central Contra Costa Sanitary District's facility at 4797 Imhoff Place, Martinez. Call 1-800-646-1431 for information and hours or visit the district's website at Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) Collection Facility.

Oil/Anti-freeze/filter Options

Motor oil is a household hazardous waste that can be recycled using your curbside recycling collection:

  • Request a used motor oil disposal container by calling Republic Services at (925) 685-4711.
  • Pour used motor oil into the supplied disposal container and carefully seal the container.
  • Place the sealed container next to your blue recycling cart. 
  • 2 gallons maximum of oil per pickup.
  • Place used filters in the bag provided by Republic Services and attach to the oil container.

Many auto service stations, auto parts stores and oil changers accept used motor oil and oil filters for recycling.  Call Contra Costa County's recycling hotline at 1-800-750-4096 for your nearest location.