Houses: Landfill (Black) cart
The all-inclusive rate for landfill, recycling and organics collection depends on the size of your black landfill cart. Your options are 20, 32, 64, or 96 gallons; the smaller your cart the less you pay. But all landfill materials must fit into your cart to be picked up.
You must use the carts provided because our automated collection service will not work with old style garbage cans. And if your cart is ever damaged, Republic Services will fix or replace it at no charge.
As part of your annual solid waste service, Republic Services provides several additional pick up services.
- Overflow Pickup: If you have more garbage than can fit in your cart, you can call Republic Services in advance of your pickup day and ask for additional pickup. The extra garbage must be set out only in 32-gallon trash bags. Extra service requires manual collection and larger bags cannot be managed. There is an additional charge per bag.
- On-Call Garbage Clean Up: Residents may request one additional curbside garbage/landfill pick up a year at no additional charge. Follow the guidelines below in Community Garbage Cleanup. For your on-call cleanup, please call Republic Services at (925) 685-4711 or visit RepublicServices.com.
- Community Garbage-only Cleanups: There are two scheduled “community” garbage cleanups per year. You will be notified by mail at least two weekends in advance of your community cleanups. Call Republic Services at (925) 685-4711 or visit RepublicServices.com for the Clean Up Day Schedule.
- Cleanup material may not exceed 2 cubic yards (equivalent to fourteen 32-gallon bags, maximum 50 pounds per bag).
- No single item may weigh more than 200 pounds.
- No large appliances or furniture will be collected.
- Branches and wood must be bundled and be 4 feet or less in length and 24 inches or less in diameter.
- No hazardous materials will be collected.
- The container you place your materials in will also be taken away.
If your home is on a hilly terrain or has a long driveway, steep or narrow streets or overhead trees and wires, you may be in a hard-to-serve (HTS) area. A smaller, non-automated truck will provide collection services in these areas. Republic Services will contact you if that is the case, or you may call them at (925) 685-4711.
- In Danville, Lafayette, Orinda and unincorporated Central County: If your home is designated as HTS you will be charged a small additional fee. You will receive three carts that must be placed as close to the curb as possible for easy access. Republic Services may contact you to agree on a location.
- In Walnut Creek and Moraga: If your home is HTS, you will pay the same rate as automated customers. Carts must be placed as close to the street as possible for easy access by the smaller truck.
Put in Your Black Cart
- Items you can’t put in your blue and green carts.
- Candy and granola wrappers
- Broken dishware
- Broken glassware
- Juice pouches
- Old hoses
- Pet waste
- Plastic utensils
- Packing peanuts
- Polystyrene meat trays and egg cartons
- Treated or painted wood
- Used tissues
Do Not Put in Your Black Cart
- Anything you can put in your blue and green carts
- Electronic items
- Fluorescent bulbs
- Hazardous materials
- Motor oil/filers