CompostSMART Advanced Composting Series
Are you interested in public education and outreach? The CompostSMART Advanced Training Program might be for you! You’ll receive in-depth composting education with an experienced and knowledgeable team, and then you’ll share your training with the wider community.
CompostSMART was developed to help residents understand the importance of organics recycling, build composting systems, recycle food and yard waste at their homes, build healthy urban soils and support thriving landscapes throughout the RecycleSmart service area.
The series includes 30+ hours of training, including classroom instruction, outdoor training, activities and tours. Once you’ve successfully completed training, you’ll spend 35 hours doing volunteer outreach in the community to complete the program. Outreach might include giving classes at local community gardens, schools, nurseries and community centers, assisting organizations and community gardens to set up composting systems, or attending events and farmers markets and staffing composting information tables.
- Definitions, benefits, soil science
- Compost ecology, critters, chemistry
- Management, tools, systems
- Harvesting, applications, composting in other settings
- Composting alternatives, strategies, troubleshooting
- Activities, projects, experiments, outdoor activities, tours
CompostSMART 2019 Program Dates
The program is an 8-week, in-depth educational experience!
- March 7 Thursday 6:30 - 8:30pm
- March 16 Saturday 9:00 - 12:00
- March 21 Thursday 6:30 - 8:30pm
- March 30 Saturday 9:00 - 12:00
- April 4 Thursday 6:30 - 8:30pm
- April 13 Saturday 9:00 - 12:00
- April 18 Thursday 6:30 - 8:30pm
- April 27 Saturday 9:00 - 12:00
May 7, 2019 (Tuesday): Full day graduation/tour.
Classroom instruction and outdoor training will be located at The Gardens at Heather Farm in Walnut Creek (sits just above Heather Farm Park). Some Saturday sessions will be hosted at local community gardens throughout the County.
After completing the training, you will become part of a select team of RecycleSmart residents empowered to share what you have learned with friends, family, neighbors and the community at large. You will have the support you need to be successful at teaching others. Community outreach is an essential component of the CompostSMART Series, and a powerful form of environmental action!
- 35 volunteer outreach hours required within one year of participating in the training.
- 20 volunteer outreach hours required annually to renew involvement in program each year after.
Stephen Andrews is a soil scientist, educator, and natural resources consultant specializing in developing landscape products made from recycled materials, including soilless growth media. Known variously throughout the Bay Area as the Dirt Dude, Soil Sommelier, and Compost Crusader, Stephen has been indoctrinating classes of UCCE Master Gardeners, Bay-Friendly Landscaping and Gardening Coalition professionals, and UC Berkeley students with his mantras of "Compost, Compost, Compost" and "Mulch, Mulch, Mulch" for nearly two decades. After attending classes given by Stephen, you'll have a better appreciation for what happens beneath your feet. Plan to roll up your sleeves and get your hands dirty!
- Volunteer Hour Record
- Watch Vermicomposting (Worms!) videos created by the 2016 CompostSMART Class!
For more information about CompostSMART or other composting related programs and resources, please contact Ashley Louisiana at (925) 906-1801 x109 or email email@example.com.
Thank You to our Partners!