Residential Reuse, Recycling and Cleanup
Residents can participate in curbside collection programs at no additional cost:
- Bi-annual pre-scheduled Reuse and Cleanup Days
- Landfill on-call cleanup once per year
- Recycling and/or organics on-call cleanups up to four times per year
Who should I contact for more information?
Republic Services at 925-685-4711:
- Reuse & Cleanup Days Program DATES
- Cleanup Day (day two) information
- To schedule an on-call landfill collection (at least two weeks prior)
- To schedule an on-call recycling and/or organics collection (at least two weeks prior)
Mt. Diablo Recycling at 925-692-2286:
- Reuse Day (day one) information
- Reuse Day tax donation receipt
Bi-Annual Reuse Day
Do you have unwanted, but still usable items, that you've been wanting to give new life to? You can conveniently donate items to people in need during your pre-scheduled bi-annual Reuse & Cleanup Days. On your Reuse Day, residents can set out reusable items on the curb like housewares, clothes, books and more. Donations are picked up by Mt. Diablo Recycling, then distributed to those in need or sold in thrift stores. You will receive a Reuse Program brochure with your scheduled dates about two weeks prior to service. Please protect your donations from rain and weather conditions by bagging or boxing your materials if needed.
Residents can also put out recyclable materials including household batteries (in a clear bag), clean polystyrene foam packing blocks (no peanuts), scrap metal and flattened cardboard.
Bi-Annual Cleanup Day
Chances are most of your materials are reusable or recyclable, but if they are not, landfill items will be collected by Republic Services on your Cleanup Day, the day after Reuse Day. Please follow all Cleanup Day guidelines, and do not put Household Hazardous Waste at the curb.
On-Call Landfill Collection at the Curb
All single-family households can schedule one additional on-call cleanup of landfill materials at no additional charge. To schedule a curbside collection, please call Republic Services at least two weeks prior, and discuss setout guidelines.
- Residents can dispose of up to 14, 32-gallon bags or the equivalent in items.
- No single item or bag can weigh over 50 lbs. each, or be longer than 4 feet.
- No hazardous materials, tires, large furniture or refrigerators will be taken.
- On-call cleanups must be canceled 24 hours in advance of scheduled date.
- All items must be at the curb or nearest main street (even if your weekly carts are serviced "on property").
On-Call Recyclables and Organics Collection at the Curb
Planning to trim back your trees, or clean out all the outdated paperwork in your home office? If you don't have space in your recycling or organics carts for all that material, you can schedule an on-call service at no additional cost. Please call Republic Services at least two weeks before to schedule a date!
- Recyclables must be empty, clean and dry.
- The total amount of material accepted is two cubic yards (the equivalent of fourteen 32-gallon bags).
- Cardboard should be broken down and put in bundles no larger than 18" x 18".
- Paper and other recyclables should be put into brown paper bags, boxes or bundles using rope or twine.
- Branches should be no larger than 2" in diameter and bundled no larger than two feet wide and four feet long.
- Loose yard clippings such as leaves and grass should be placed in paper bags or BPI certified compostable bags.
- No more than 32-gallons per bag. No more than 25 lbs per bag.
- No black, burlap or plastic bags (including other bags labeled "biodegradable" but not "BPI-Certified Compostable")
- No garbage, ashes, dirt, rocks, glass, metal, fruit or vegetables, nor fibrous plants such as cactus, ice plant, ivy, palm, or poison oak or ivy can be accepted.