Reuse and Cleanup Days
Do you have unwanted, but still usable items, that you've been wanting to give new life to? You can conveniently donate items to people in need during your pre-scheduled bi-annual Reuse & Cleanup Days. On the Reuse Day (day one), residents can set out reusable items at the curb like housewares, clothes, books and more. Donations are picked up by Mt. Diablo Resource Recovery, then distributed to those in need or sold in thrift stores. You will receive a Reuse Program brochure with your scheduled dates about two weeks prior to service. Please protect your donations from rain and weather conditions by bagging or boxing your materials if needed.
On the Reuse Day (day one) residents can also put out recyclable materials including household batteries (in a clear bag), clean expanded polystyrene foam (aka Styrofoam) packing blocks (no peanuts), scrap metal and flattened cardboard.
Chances are most of your materials are reusable or recyclable, but if they are not, landfill items will be collected by Republic Services on your Cleanup Day, the day after Reuse Day (day two). Please follow all Cleanup Day guidelines, and do not put Household Hazardous Waste at the curb.
Organic material, including yard trimmings, leaves, grass and wood are not accepted on your Cleanup Day. Materials on Cleanup Day are sent to landfill, and organics should never be sent to landfill. Please call Republic Services at 925-685-4711 to schedule your on-call organics only service (recycling and/or organics up to 4 times per year at no additional cost).
Cleanup Day (day two) Setout Guidelines (for Landfill materials only):
- Residents can dispose of up to 14, 32-gallon bags or the equivalent in items.
- No single item or bag can weigh over 50 lbs. each, or be longer than 4 feet.
- No hazardous materials, tires, large furniture or refrigerators will be taken.
- No organic material, including yard trimmings, food scraps, paper, grass, leaves and wood.
- On-call cleanups must be canceled 24 hours in advance of scheduled date.
- All items must be at the curb or nearest main street (even if your weekly carts are serviced "on property").
Who should I contact for more information?
Republic Services at 925-685-4711:
- Reuse & Cleanup Days Program DATES (Reuse & Cleanup Days dates are not posted online to reduce potential scavenging)
- Cleanup Day (day two) information
Mt. Diablo Resource Recovery at 925-692-2286:
- Reuse Day (day one) information
- Reuse Day tax donation receipt