Residential Reuse and Cleanup Programs
RecycleSmart offers several free programs to help you maintain your house, in addition to your weekly pick up:
- Reuse and Cleanup Days
- Landfill/Garbage On-call Cleanup
- Recyclables/Organics On-call Cleanup
Do you or your family have a lot of unwanted but still usable stuff that you want to get rid of? You can conveniently donate items and recycle large items curbside during your scheduled community cleanup, twice each year. During Reuse Days you can put out reusable items like housewares, clothes and books. Those items are then distributed to those in need or sold in thrift stores. See list of acceptable Reuse Day items.
You can also put out recycling including household batteries, large polystyrene foam blocks (no peanuts), scrap metal and flattened cardboard. Mt. Diablo Recycling will pick them up and recycle. If you have specific Reuse Day questions, please call them at (925) 771-2786.
You will receive a Reuse Program brochure about two weeks before your actual Reuse and Cleanup day. Please follow the guidelines in the brochure.
Clean Up Day
Chances are most of your materials are reusable or recyclable, but if they are not, they will be collected by your garbage hauler, Republic Services, on the day after Reuse Day. Please don't put out paint, solvents, fluorescent tubes or any other household hazardous waste. If you have any questions about your Cleanup collection day, call Republic Services at (925) 685-4711.
The winter "Bag and Tag" reuse collection has some special guidelines. Please place all items in closed plastic bags to keep them dry and attach the provided green stickers to the bags. If you cannot protect items from wet weather, then save them for your spring/summer collection.
Landfill/Garbage On-call Cleanup
In addition to the twice a year scheduled cleanup Days, all single-family households in the RecycleSmart service area are entitled one additional on-call cleanup at no additional charge. To schedule an appointment, call Republic Services at (925) 685-4711 (please call at least two weeks in advance).
During special clean-ups
- You can dispose of up to 14, 32-gallon bags or the equivalent in items.
- No single item or bag can weigh over 50 lbs. each, or be longer than 4 feet.
- Branches and prunings must be tied into bundles shorter than 4 feet and smaller than 24 inches in diameter.
- No hazardous materials, tires, large furniture or refrigerators will be taken.
Individual clean-ups must be canceled 24 hours in advance of scheduled day. All items must be at the curb or nearest main street, even if your weekly trash is collected "on property."
Recyclables and Organics On-call Cleanup
Planning to trim back your trees? Want to clean out all the outdated paperwork in your home office? Just moved in and have loads of cardboard boxes and/or newspapers to recycle? If you don't have room in your recycling or organics carts for all that material, you can schedule an on-call service.
All single-family households in the RecycleSmart service area are entitled to four (4) on-call recyclable/organics cleanups every year, at no additional charge. Call Republic Services at (925) 685-4711 to schedule an appointment (please call at least two weeks in advance).
- Recyclables must be empty, clean and dry.
- The total amount of material accepted is two cubic yards (the equivalent of fourteen 32-gallon bags).
- Cardboard should be broken down and put in bundles no larger than 18" x 18". Paper and other recyclables should be put in brown paper bags, boxes or bundles using rope or twine.
- Branches should be no larger than 2" in diameter and bundled no larger than two feet wide and four feet long.
- Loose yard clippings such as leaves and grass should be placed in BPI certified compostable plastic bags, boxes. No more than 32 gallons per bag, box or container. No more than 25 lbs per bag. No black or other regular plastic bags (including other bags labeled "biodegradable" but not "BPI-Certified Compostable")
- No garbage, ashes, dirt, rocks, glass, metal, fruit or vegetables, nor fibrous plants such as cactus, ice plant, ivy, palm, or poison oak or ivy can be accepted.