If you live in or manage a residential multifamily complex (apartment or condominium) that has shared waste service (recycling, organics and landfill), your property is considered a “multifamily” complex. Recycling and organics service must be available to all tenants. RecycleSmart, in partnership with the Franchise hauler Republic Services, has programs and services to make it easy—at no extra cost!
Here are some resources you can take advantage of today – just ask your property manager to arrange for you with Republic Services!
- Free reusable recycling bag to store and carry recyclables to the complex’s enclosure (blue bin or cart)
- Free in-home food scraps container to store and carry organics to the complex’s enclosure (green bin or cart)
- On-call electronic waste services ($50)
- Free motor oil and filter recycling kits
- Free educational resources, including waste/enclosure assessment, enclosure posters, educational print outreach, tenant training, move-in/move-out information, and a short educational video to share with tenants and staff.
If your apartment building does not have recycling and organics service or does not have enough service, contact Republic Services at (925) 685-4711. Tenants, managers, and property owners may call, but the property owner must give final authorization for new or increased services. Recycling and organics services are included at no additional cost. The only service with associated costs is the black landfill cart/bin. For service rate information please click here.
For additional information about state and local recycling and organics laws that apply to multifamily properties click here.
SB 1383 for Multifamily Properties
- Separate organics, including all food scraps, uncoated food-soiled paper, and landscape trimmings, and place the separated organics in the green cart provided by our franchised service provider, Republic Services, or self-haul organics to an appropriate facility.
- Provide information within 14 days of new occupation to new tenants that describes the requirement to source separate organics, recycling, and landfill materials. To comply with this requirement, share our short educational video with your tenants.
- Annually provide information to tenants about California’s organic waste recovery requirements and proper sorting.
- Provide or arrange access for compliance inspections by RecycleSmart or its designee.
Self-haul reporting requirements for property managers and owners
If you choose not to use the franchised hauler, Republic Services, for your recycling and organics service and instead self-haul to a local facility for disposal, California State Law SB 1383 requires that you maintain records including delivery receipts and the amount of material delivered. Records must be made available to RecycleSmart upon request. This includes multifamily complexes that use a landscape service to haul green waste off-site.
- Please complete the self-haul Alternative Compliance Form.
Property managers/owners tips for successful recycling and organics programs
- Consider adding proper waste sorting language to the lease. Remember, recycling and composting is now the law!
- Post recycling and organics posters and information in waste enclosures
- Give all tenants an annual participation reminder and thank-you
- Keep waste enclosure areas clean and safe
- Regularly check containers just before your service day to ensure programs are being used properly
- Check landfill containers for contamination, including recyclables and organics. If residents are not sorting properly, issue reminders.