Hazardous Recycling and Waste Disposal

RecycleSmart and the community offer many recycling programs to help residents and businesses dispose of recyclable materials properly and conveniently. Do not put batteries, electronics, household hazardous materials, light bulbs, medical sharps or controlled substances into any collection cart or bin. Here’s how to dispose of them.

Battery Recycling

If you live in a single family home: Place batteries in a clear zip lock bag and put them out curbside (on top of blue recycling cart) with the weekly garbage collection or on your Reuse Day. Or you can drop off batteries at one of our local partner retail locations below.

Apartments, Condos, and Businesses: Drop off at one of our local partner retail locations below:

  • Alamo – CVS/Pharmacy, 3158 Danville Blvd.
  • Blackhawk - CVS/Pharmacy, 3420 Camino Tassajara
  • Danville - CVS/Pharmacy, 650 San Ramon Valley
  • Danville - Danville Music, 115 Town and Country Dr.
  • Danville - Walgreen's, 611 San Ramon Valley
  • Lafayette - CVS/Pharmacy, 3625 Mt. Diablo Blvd.
  • Lafayette - Ace Hardware, 3311 Mt. Diablo Blvd.
  • Moraga - Ace Hardware, 1409 Moraga Rd.
  • Moraga - CVS/Pharmacy, 1480 Moraga Rd. #D
  • Moraga - CVS/Pharmacy, 580 Moraga Rd.
  • Orinda - CVS/Pharmacy, 50 Moraga Way
  • Orinda - Rite Aid, 27 Orinda Way
  • Walnut Creek - CVS/Pharmacy, 1123 S. California Blvd.
  • Walnut Creek - CVS/Pharmacy, 1914 Tice Valley Blvd.
  • Walnut Creek - CVS/Pharmacy, 738 Bancroft Rd.
  • Walnut Creek - Rite Aid, 1526 Palos Verde Mall
  • Walnut Creek - Ace Hardware, 2044 Mt. Diablo Blvd.


It is illegal to dispose of televisions, computer monitors and most other electronics in the garbage. The cathode ray tubes (CRTs) contain lead and could contaminate water supplies.

Your unwanted and obsolete electronic equipment and appliances are one of the fastest growing waste streams. When discarded in landfills, these items not only lock up components that contain valuable and reusable natural resources, they also contain toxic chemicals that can contaminate soil and groundwater. 

  • Residents: RecycleSmart residents can dispose of unwanted electronics (including monitors and table top-size televisions) curbside at no additional cost on their “Reuse” Day (see Residential Reuse and Cleanup Program for more information).  Residents can also dispose of electronic items by calling Republic Services @ (925) 685-4711 for an e-waste pickup. Please note there is a $50.00 fee.
  • Multi-Family: Property managers can collect e-waste and call Republic Services for an e-waste service pick-up. Please note there is a $50.00 fee.

Another option is donating your equipment to a non-profit or school; you can claim it as a tax deduction. 

Also, check out the RecycleWhere widget on the home page to locate other facilities to take your e-waste and other items. 

Household Hazardous Waste

Household hazardous wastes should never be thrown into the trash or washed down the household or storm drains. 

All hazardous wastes including paint, solvents, cleaners, pesticides and MUCH MORE should be taken to the Central Contra Costa Sanitary District's facility at 4797 Imhoff Place, Martinez. Call 1-800-646-1431 for information and hours or visit the district's website at Household Hazardous Waste Collection Facility.

Oil/Anti-freeze/filter Options

Motor oil can be recycled using your curbside recycling collection:

  • Request a used motor oil disposal container by calling Republic Services at (925) 685-4711, or ask your property manager.
  • Pour used motor oil into the supplied disposal container and carefully seal the container.
  • Place the sealed container next to your blue recycling cart. 
  • 2 gallons maximum of oil per pickup.
  • Place used filters in the bag provided by Republic Services and attach to the oil container.

Many auto service stations, auto parts stores and oil changers also accept used motor oil and oil filters for recycling.  Call Contra Costa County's recycling hotline at 1-800-750-4096 for your nearest location.


If you’re like most people, you have accumulated quite a collection of medications—many of which are no longer needed or have expired. Disposing of unwanted medications properly will help to protect your family, community and environment. 

Dispose of medications in a pharmaceutical collection bin at one of these locations:

  • City of Walnut Creek, City Hall Lobby, 1666 North Main Street, Walnut Creek
  • Town of Moraga, Police Department, 329 Rheem Boulevard, Moraga
  • City of Orinda, Police Department, 22 Orinda Way, Orinda
  • Town of Danville, Police Department, 510 La Gonda Drive, Danville
  • City of Lafayette, Police Department, 3675 Mt. Diablo Blvd., #130, Lafayette
  • Alamo, Sheriff’s Substation,150 Alamo Plaza, Suite C, Alamo


  • To ensure privacy, take medications out of original containers and put them in a sealable plastic bag. 
  • Remove your personal information from the bottle and recycle the plastic container(s) in your blue recycling cart.
  • Please leave liquids in their original container, mark out personal information and place bottle into a sealable plastic bag
  • Asthma inhalers are accepted.
  • Pet medications are accepted.

Medical Sharps

Sharps collection programs are for individuals only. Use by residential care facilities, doctors’ offices, veterinarians, and other commercial generators is not permitted.

Improper management of discarded needles can pose a health risk to the public and waste workers. Dispose of used medical sharps in a red hard-plastic sharps container at one of these locations:

  • Alamo Sheriff’s Substation – 150 Alamo Plaza, Suite C.
  • Lafayette Fire Station – 3338 Mt. Diablo Blvd.
  • Moraga Fire Station – 1280 Moraga Way
  • Orinda Police Department – 22 Orinda Way
  • Walnut Creek Fire Station – 1050 Walnut Avenue
  • Walnut Creek City Hall – 1666 North Main Street
  • Rossmoor Gateway Building – 1001 Golden Rain Road (For Rossmoor residents only)
  • Danville Police Department – 510 La Gonda Way

The hosting organizations listed above are going out of their way to help their communities. Therefore, do not, under any circumstances, leave sharps, medications, or any other products on their property. Doing so could jeopardize the viability of these collection programs. 

Light Bulbs

How to dispose of light bulbs depends on which type of light bulb(s) you have. Some light bulbs contain hazardous substances such as mercury, lead and arsenic, which are harmful to human health and the environment, even in small quantities. Light bulbs containing these substances should never be placed in any carts, bins or dumpsters.

Compact Fluorescent Lights (CFLs)

Single-Family Home Residents: Place CFLs in a clear bag and put the bag on the ground next to your BLUE recycling cart each week for collection. The driver will pick them up seperately.

Commercial and Multi-Family: Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) Facility in Martinez. For more information visit www.CentralSan.org.

Light Emitting Diode (LED) Bulb

Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) Facility in Martinez. For more information visit www.CentralSan.org.

Fluorescent Tubes, High Intensity Discharge Bulbs and Neon Signs

Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) Facility in Martinez. For more information visit www.CentralSan.org.

Incandescent and Halogen Bulbs

Landfill (trash) cart or bin.