Houses: Organics (Green) Cart
You can put both food scraps and yard trimmings in your green cart. If it was once alive, it can go in the cart. That includes food-soiled paper (paper was once a tree, and the food will contaminate paper recycling if you put it in the blue cart). If you choose to use a bag, it must be compostable, not plastic or biodegradable (look for “compostable: BPI meets ASTM 6400 Standard” on the packaging).
Republic Services will provide you with a small food scraps container for your kitchen; call them at (925) 685-4711 to request a container.
The standard residential cart size is 64 gallons, but if you routinely have more than can fit in your cart, we’d be happy to give you a larger 96-gallon container at no charge, or a second 64-gallon cart for an additional fee. For details, please call Republic Services at (925) 685-4711.
Visit our Residential Food Scraps Program page for more how the program works.
Put in Your Green Cart
- Flower cuttings
- Garden trimmings
- House plants
- Lawn clippings
- Tree twigs (4 feet or less in length and 6 inches in diameter)
- Wood chips
- Compostable plastic bags only
- Raw or cooked food scraps
- Meats, seafood
- Dairy products
- Breads, grains, pastas
- Bones, shells
- Pizza boxes
- Paper cups
- Paper plates
- Paper towels
Do Not Put in Green Cart
- Large tree trunks and stumps
- Pet waste or manure
- Plastic bags, regular or biodegradable
- Plastic, glass or metal
- Poison oak, poison ivy
- Rocks, concrete, sod or dirt
- Treated or painted wood
Recyclables and Organics On-call Cleanup
Planning to trim back your trees? Want to clean out all the outdated paperwork in your home office? Just moved in and have loads of cardboard boxes and/or newspapers to recycle? If you don't have room in your recycling or organics carts for all that material, you can schedule an on-call service.
All single-family households in the RecycleSmart service area are entitled to four (4) on-call recyclable/organics cleanups every year, at no additional charge. Call Republic Services at (925) 685-4711 to schedule an appointment (please call at least two weeks in advance).
- The total amount of material accepted is two cubic yards (the equivalent of fourteen 32-gallon bags).
- Cardboard should be broken down and put in bundles no larger than 18" x 18". Paper and other recyclables should be put in brown paper bags, boxes or bundles using rope or twine.
- Branches should be no larger than 2" in diameter and bundled no larger than two feet wide and four feet long.
- Loose yard clippings such as leaves and grass should be placed in plastic bags, buckets, boxes, or personal trash cans, no more than 32 gallons per bag, box or container.
- No garbage, ashes, dirt, rocks, glass, metal, fruit or vegetables, nor fibrous plants such as cactus, ice plant, ivy, palm, or poison oak or ivy can be accepted.