Houses: Organics (Green) Cart
You can put both food scraps and yard trimmings in your green cart. If it was once alive, it can go in the cart. That includes food-soiled paper (paper was once a tree, and the food will contaminate paper recycling if you put it in the blue cart). If you choose to use a bag, it must be compostable, not plastic or biodegradable (look for “compostable: BPI meets ASTM 6400 Standard” on the packaging).
Republic Services will provide you with a small food scraps container for your kitchen; call them at (925) 685-4711 to request a container.
The standard residential cart size is 64 gallons, but if you routinely have more than can fit in your cart, we’d be happy to give you a larger 96-gallon container at no charge, or a second 64-gallon cart for an additional fee. For details, please call Republic Services at (925) 685-4711.
Visit our Residential Food Scraps Program page for more how the program works.
Put in Your Green Cart
- Flower cuttings
- Garden trimmings
- House plants
- Lawn clippings
- Tree twigs (4 feet or less in length and 6 inches in diameter)
- Wood chips
- Compostable plastic bags only
- Raw or cooked food scraps
- Meats, seafood
- Dairy products
- Breads, grains, pastas
- Bones, shells
- Pizza boxes
- Paper cups
- Paper plates
- Paper towels
Do Not Put in Green Cart
- Large tree trunks and stumps
- Pet waste or manure
- Plastic bags, regular or biodegradable
- Plastic, glass or metal
- Poison oak, poison ivy
- Rocks, concrete, sod or dirt
- Treated or painted wood
Recyclables and Organics On-call Cleanup
Planning to trim back your trees? Want to clean out all the outdated paperwork in your home office? Just moved in and have loads of cardboard boxes and/or newspapers to recycle? If you don't have room in your recycling or organics carts for all that material, you can schedule an on-call service.
All single-family households in the RecycleSmart service area are entitled to four (4) on-call recyclable/organics cleanups every year, at no additional charge. Call Republic Services at (925) 685-4711 to schedule an appointment (please call at least two weeks in advance).
- The total amount of material accepted is two cubic yards (the equivalent of fourteen 32-gallon bags).
- Cardboard should be broken down and put in bundles no larger than 18" x 18". Paper and other recyclables should be put in brown paper bags, boxes or bundles using rope or twine.
- Branches should be no larger than 2" in diameter and bundled no larger than two feet wide and four feet long.
- Loose yard clippings such as leaves and grass should be placed in in BPI-certified compostable bags or paper bags, no more than 32 gallons per bag. No more than 25 lbs per bag. No black or other regular plastic bags (including other bags labeled "biodegradable" but not "BPI-Certified Compostable")
- No garbage, ashes, dirt, rocks, glass, metal, fruit or vegetables, nor fibrous plants such as cactus, ice plant, ivy, palm, or poison oak or ivy can be accepted.