The State of California (AB 1276) now requires all retail food facilities and food delivery platforms to provide single-use foodware items upon request only. This law was established to help reduce the amount of waste generated by single-use items and to encourage consumers to choose reusables. AB 1276 does not apply to school cafeterias, residential and health care facilities, and correctional facilities. Minimizing the use of single-use foodware items can help businesses reduce costs and waste. These items contaminate recycling and pollute streets and waterways in our communities. California Assembly Bill (AB) 1276 As of January 1, 2022, the ‘Straws on Request Only’ law and the Public Resource Code is expanded to include additional single-use foodware accessories. The retail food industry and food delivery platforms are required to:
- Only provide single-use accessories to customers upon request
- Single-use foodware cannot be bundled or packaged in a way that prohibits the customer from taking only the item desired
- Uncoated paper (can be composted in the green organics cart)
- Durable, recyclable plastic #1-#7 (can be reused or recycled in the blue recycling cart)
- Clean foil (can be recycled in the blue recycling cart)
- Reusable (can be reused again and again!)
- For both indoor or outdoor dining, reusable dishes, cups, and utensils are safe for workers and customers as long as they’re properly washed, rinsed, and sanitized.
- Items shared between customers such as menus, bread baskets and condiment bottles must be disinfected between parties.