Hazardous Recycling and Waste Disposal


Many common items we use at home and at work are toxic to the environment and create negative climate and human health impacts. There are options to properly dispose of hazardous waste, and these materials should never go in your curbside carts. 

Battery Recycling

Batteries contain lead and toxic heavy metals. It is illegal in California to dispose of batteries in curbside carts and bins.

If you live in a single-family home, place all small household batteries in a clear, sealed bag and set them on top of your blue recycling cart lid each week on your normal service day. The recycling driver will collect batteries separately. If you notice your driver is not collecting your batteries, please call RecycleSmart at 925-906-1801 or email authority@recyclesmart.org to let us know. Single-family homes can also set batteries out on the bi-annual Reuse Day, including auto batteries. Auto batteries are only accepted on the Reuse Day, not weekly. All residents can also use the free drop-off retail partners listed below and take batteries to Central San’s HHW Facility in Martinez

Apartments, Condos, and Businesses: Drop off at one of our local partner retail locations below for free:

  • Alamo – CVS/Pharmacy, 3158 Danville Blvd.
  • Blackhawk – CVS/Pharmacy, 3420 Camino Tassajara
  • Danville – CVS/Pharmacy, 650 San Ramon Valley
  • Danville – Danville Music, 115 Town and Country Dr.
  • Danville – Walgreen’s, 611 San Ramon Valley
  • Lafayette – CVS/Pharmacy, 3625 Mt. Diablo Blvd.
  • Lafayette – Ace Hardware, 3311 Mt. Diablo Blvd.
  • Moraga – Ace Hardware, 1409 Moraga Rd.
  • Moraga – CVS/Pharmacy, 1480 Moraga Rd. #D
  • Moraga – CVS/Pharmacy, 580 Moraga Rd.
  • Orinda – CVS/Pharmacy, 50 Moraga Way
  • Orinda – Rite Aid, 27 Orinda Way
  • Walnut Creek – CVS/Pharmacy, 1123 S. California Blvd.
  • Walnut Creek – CVS/Pharmacy, 1914 Tice Valley Blvd.
  • Walnut Creek – CVS/Pharmacy, 738 Bancroft Rd.
  • Walnut Creek – Rite Aid, 1526 Palos Verde Mall
  • Walnut Creek – Ace Hardware, 2044 Mt. Diablo Blvd.


It is illegal to dispose of televisions, computer monitors and most other electronics in the garbage. The cathode ray tubes (CRTs) contain lead and could contaminate water supplies.

Your unwanted and obsolete electronic equipment and appliances are one of the fastest growing waste streams. When discarded in landfills, these items not only lock up components that contain valuable and reusable natural resources, they also contain toxic chemicals that can contaminate soil and groundwater. 

  • Single Family Home Residents: Can dispose of electronics curbside on the bi-annual Reuse Day or can call Republic Services at (925) 685-4711 to schedule an e-waste pickup at the curb for a $50.00 fee.
  • Multi-Family: Property managers can call Republic Services to schedule an e-waste pickup for a $50.00 fee.

More E-Waste Disposal Options (including options for businesses

  • Donate your equipment to a non-profit or school
  • Post working equipment on reuse or for-sale websites like Facebook Marketplace and Nextdoor
  • Dispose of equipment at the Concord Recycling Center or Rapid Recycle 

Oil/Anti-freeze/filter Options

Single Family Home Residents:

  • Request a used motor oil disposal container by calling Republic Services at (925) 685-4711. 
  • Pour used motor oil into the supplied disposal container and carefully seal the container.
  • Place the sealed container on the ground next to your blue recycling cart. 
  • 2 gallons maximum of oil per pickup.
  • Place used filters in the bag provided by Republic Services and attach to the oil container.

Multi Family Properties and Commercial Businesses: Take motor oil to the Household Hazardous Waste Facility in Martinez

Many auto service shops, auto parts stores and oil change services accept used motor oil and oil filters for recycling (call ahead).  


If you’re like most people, you have accumulated quite a collection of medications—many of which are no longer needed or have expired. Disposing of unwanted medications properly will help to protect your family, community and environment. The Central Contra Costa Sanitary District (Central San) manages the pharmaceutical disposal program in central county. For questions and more information please visit www.centralsan.org/pharmaceuticals

Dispose of medications for free at one of these locations:

  • City of Walnut Creek, City Hall Lobby, 1666 North Main Street, Walnut Creek
  • Town of Moraga, Police Department, 329 Rheem Boulevard, Moraga
  • City of Orinda, Police Department, 22 Orinda Way, Orinda
  • Town of Danville, Police Department, 510 La Gonda Drive, Danville
  • City of Lafayette, Police Department, 3471 Mt. Diablo Blvd., Lafayette
  • Alamo, Sheriff’s Substation,150 Alamo Plaza, Suite C, Alamo


  • To ensure privacy, take medications out of original containers and put them in a sealable plastic bag. 
  • Remove your personal information from the bottle and recycle the plastic container(s) in your blue recycling cart.
  • Please leave liquids in their original container, mark out personal information and place bottle into a sealable plastic bag
  • Asthma inhalers are accepted.
  • Pet medications are accepted.

Medical Sharps

Click here for the California FREE mail-back sharps container request!

Local Free Dropoff: Sharps collection programs are for individuals only. Use by residential care facilities, doctors’ offices, veterinarians, and other commercial generators is not permitted.

Improper management of discarded needles can pose a health risk to the public and waste workers. Dispose of used medical sharps in a red hard-plastic sharps container at one of these locations:

  • Alamo Sheriff’s Substation – 150 Alamo Plaza, Suite C.
  • Lafayette Fire Station – 3338 Mt. Diablo Blvd.
  • Moraga Fire Station – 1280 Moraga Way
  • Orinda Police Department – 22 Orinda Way
  • Walnut Creek Fire Station – 1050 Walnut Avenue
  • Walnut Creek City Hall – 1666 North Main Street
  • Rossmoor Gateway Building – 1001 Golden Rain Road (For Rossmoor residents only)
  • Danville Police Department – 510 La Gonda Way

The hosting organizations listed above are going out of their way to help their communities. Therefore, do not, under any circumstances, leave sharps, medications, or any other products on their property. Doing so could jeopardize the viability of these collection programs. 

Light Bulbs

How to dispose of light bulbs depends on which type of light bulb(s) you have. Some light bulbs contain hazardous substances such as mercury, lead and arsenic, which are harmful to human health and the environment, even in small quantities. Light bulbs containing these substances should never be placed in any carts, bins or dumpsters.

Compact Fluorescent Lights (CFLs)

Single-Family Home Residents: Place CFLs in a clear bag and put the bag on the ground next to your blue recycling cart each week for collection. The driver will pick them up seperately.

Commercial and Multi-Family: Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) Facility in Martinez. For more information visit www.CentralSan.org.

Light Emitting Diode (LED) Bulb

Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) Facility in Martinez. For more information visit www.CentralSan.org.

Fluorescent Tubes, High Intensity Discharge Bulbs and Neon Signs

Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) Facility in Martinez. For more information visit www.CentralSan.org.

Incandescent and Halogen Bulbs

Landfill (trash) cart or bin.

Household Hazardous Waste

Household hazardous waste should never be thrown in the trash or washed down drains. 

Hazardous waste including paint, solvents, cleaners, pesticides, cooking oil and much more should be taken to the Central Contra Costa Sanitary District’s HHW facility at 4797 Imhoff Place, Martinez. Call 1-800-646-1431 for information and hours or visit the district’s website at Household Hazardous Waste Collection Facility.

Treated Wood Waste

Where can I dispose of Treated Wood Waste (TWW) such as railroad ties and pressure treated wood? 

  • TWW is considered a hazardous waste and must be disposed of properly. The following facilities are authorized by the California Regional Water Quality Control Board to accept TWW. Please contact the facility before taking TWW to them for disposal.
  • At this time, Household Hazardous Waste facilities are not able to accept Treated Wood Waste. 
  • For more information please visit the Department of Toxic Substances Control’s website Treated Wood Waste (TWW) | Department of Toxic Substances Control (ca.gov)