Houses: Black Landfill Cart
Your Republic Services monthly service rate is a bundled rate based on the size of your black landfill cart, and includes recycling and organics at no additional cost. Black landfill cart size options are 20, 32, 64, or 96 gallons. The more you recycle and compost, the smaller your black cart - the less you pay!
Community Landfill-only Cleanup Days
There are two scheduled “community” landfill Cleanup Days per year (Reuse & Cleanup Days). You will be notified by mail at least two weeks in advance, or you can call Republic Services at (925) 685-4711 for the Clean Up Day Schedule.
- Cleanup material may not exceed 2 cubic yards (equivalent to fourteen 32-gallon bags, maximum 50 pounds per bag).
- No single item may weigh more than 50 pounds.
- No large appliances or furniture will be collected.
- No hazardous materials will be collected.
- The container you place your materials in will also be taken away.
Extra On-call Landfill Cleanup
In addition to the twice a year scheduled Cleanup Days, all single-family households in the RecycleSmart service area are entitled one additional on-call cleanup at no additional charge. To schedule your service, call Republic Services at (925) 685-4711 (please call at least two weeks in advance). On-call service must be canceled 24 hours in advance of scheduled day. All items must be at the curb or nearest main street by 6am, even if your weekly trash is collected "on property."
If your home is on a hilly terrain or has a long driveway, steep or narrow streets or overhead trees and wires, you may be in a hard-to-serve area. A smaller, non-automated truck will provide collection services in these areas. There is also a Hard to Service monthly service rate.
What should go in your black landfill cart?
- Plastic coated paper milk, juice and ice cream cartons
- Juice pouches
- Plastic coated paper coffee cups and to-go drink cups
- Plastic coated paper to-go food containers
- Chip bags
- Snack, candy and granola bar wrappers
- Diapers (compostable diapers too!)
- Broken dishes
- Tempered glass and mirror
- Water hoses and irrigation equipment
- Pet waste (pet waste contained in compostable bags too!)
- Plastic single-use utensils
- Single-use plastic straws
- Single-use face masks and latex gloves
- Paper towels soaked with cleaning products (clean paper towels go in green organics cart)
- Sanitizing, cleaning and baby wipes
- Packing peanuts
- Plastic packaging and packing film, air pockets and bubble wrap
- Polystyrene meat trays and egg cartons
- Used tissues
- All hangers (plastic too)
- Gift wrap that has glitter, velvet or other embellishments
- Bio plastics (all 'plant plastics')
- Dirty plastic food containers
- Textiles (that can't be reused)
- Expanded Polystyrene Foam (aka Styrofoam)
- Garden hose and irrigation tubes and parts
- Small bits: rubber bands, bread bag clips, produce stickers
- Mesh produce bags
- Pre-made salad bags, thick frozen food bags
Do Not Put in Your Black Cart
- Materials accepted in recycling and organics
- Food scraps
- Fluorescent bulbs
- Hazardous materials
- Heavy C&D material (concrete, rocks, dirt, fiberglass insulation, etc.)
- Motor oil/filers
- Medical sharps