Houses: Recycling (Blue) Cart
One 64-gallon recycling cart is included as part of your residential service, and picked up weekly by Republic Services. If you routinely have more than 64 gallons of recycling per week, you can request a 96-gallon blue cart at no additional cost, or a second 64-gallon blue cart for an additional fee. For details, please call Republic Services at (925) 685-4711.
The Contra Costa County Recycling Hotline or 800-750-4096 can refer you to other local reuse and recycling options for a wide range of materials, including drop-off centers.
For Your Information
- PLEASE KEEP YOUR RECYCLABLES EMPTY, CLEAN AND DRY!
- You can leave staples and paper clips in your papers.
- Use a spatula, spoon or paper towel to remove food residue. You can then place the paper towel in your green cart.
- Plastic VHS cartridge can be recycled, but the actual tape cannot. Please pull out the tape and put it into the black landfill cart.
- For large amounts of cardboard, call Republic Services at 925-685-4711 to schedule a free extra collection of recyclables, or flatten it and leave out during your twice-annual Reuse and Cleanup Day. You can also take cardboard to the Concord Recycling Center at 1320 Galaxy Way in Concord, ConcordRecyclingCenter.com.
- Republic Services can’t accept any type of polystyrene foam.
Put in Your Blue Cart
- All colors, lids, caps
- CRV beverage containers
- Aluminum cans
- Aluminum foil (clean)
- Aluminum pie plates
- Cookie sheets
- CRV beverage cans
- Food cans (clean)
- Pet food cans (clean)
- Clean pots and pans
- Tin cans
- Books (paperback & hardback)
- Boxes, packages
- Carbonless paper
- Cardboard (must fit in cart)
- Colored and construction paper
- Computer paper
- Copy paper
- Detergent boxes
- Egg cartons (paper only; no polystyrene foam; if the eggs have broken put soiled cartons in Green Cart)
- Envelopes with metal clasps (okay to leave the metal in)
- Envelopes with plastic windows
- Gift wrap (non-metallic)
- Glossy paper
- Newspapers and inserts
- Paper bags
- Paper packaging with remnant tape
- Paperboard boxes (cereal & shoe boxes)
- Shredded paper (in a brown paper bag or clear plastic bag)
- Paper towel and toilet paper tubes
- Pet food bags
- Telephone books
- Tissue paper (gift type)
- Baby wipes containers
- Bleach bottles
- Buckets without handles
- CRV beverage containers (soda, water, juice)
- Detergent bottles
- Clean food containers (no polystyrene foam)
- Household cleaning containers (empty)
- Lids and caps
- Milk jugs
- Plastic bags (put all dry and clean plastic bags in one) Bag-the-bags!
- Plastic containers with recycling arrow #’s 1-7
- Prescription bottles (empty)
- Salad dressing bottles
- Shampoo and conditioning bottles
- Tub containers (Recycling arrow #’s 1-7)
- Water jugs
- Rigid plastics (such as buckets, laundry baskets, toys)
Put on Top or Next to Your Blue Cart
- Put batteries in a zip-lock or tie-close plastic bag and place on top of the blue recycling cart.
- Put cell phones inside a zip-lock or tie-close plastic bag and place on top of your blue recycling cart.
- Put compact fluorescent bulbs inside a zip-lock or tie-close plastic bag and place next to your blue recycling cart.
Do Not Put in Your Blue Cart
- Dirty recyclables
- Ceramic dishes
- Disposable diapers
- Drinking glasses
- Facial tissues
- Paper towels, napkins, paper plates, paper cups (Please place in your green cart)
- Plastic utensils
- Plastic hangers
- Metal hangers
- Metal paint cans
- Mirror or window glass
- Sanitary napkins
- Polystyrene foam (including packaging materials)
Recyclables and Organics On-call Cleanup
Planning to trim back your trees? Want to clean out all the outdated paperwork in your home office? Just moved in and have loads of cardboard boxes and/or newspapers to recycle? If you don't have room in your recycling or organics carts for all that material, you can schedule an on-call service.
All single-family households in the RecycleSmart service area are entitled to four (4) on-call recyclable/organics cleanups every year, at no additional charge. Call Republic Services at (925) 685-4711 to schedule an appointment (please call at least two weeks in advance).
- The total amount of material accepted is two cubic yards (the equivalent of fourteen 32-gallon bags).
- Cardboard should be broken down and put in bundles no larger than 18" x 18". Paper and other recyclables should be put in brown paper bags, boxes or bundles using rope or twine.
- Branches should be no larger than 2" in diameter and bundled no larger than two feet wide and four feet long.
- Loose yard clippings such as leaves and grass should be placed in plastic bags, buckets, boxes, or personal trash cans, no more than 32 gallons per bag, box or container. No more than 25 lbs per bag.
- No garbage, ashes, dirt, rocks, glass, metal, fruit or vegetables, nor fibrous plants such as cactus, ice plant, ivy, palm, or poison oak.